Saturday, July 9, 2011

Tally it up...

Starting to go back and remember it all now.  Starting with the stats..... when I left Fallon, NV after the belt drive was sorted, it was 6 at night.  24 hours after that I was in Hutchinson, KS.  That is 1375 miles averaging 57 miles/hr which at that point was still hardass time if I didn't have a 30 hrs delay for the gawdamn belt drive....

within 48 hours I was standing at a gas station in Athens, OH which put me another 980 miles down the line.  This was a total of 2355 miles in 2 days and now the average speed was down to 49 MPH.  Loosing ground on a hardass speed.  To be honest this was Missouri that killed me.  Deer everywhere, tired as shit, windy roads, TONs of small towns, and about 30 minute nap in a ditch.  Stupid body and it's need for sleep.....

Over the next 22 hours until the end of my 70 hour transit to Pinbluff starting back in Fallon, I went the remaining 849 miles.  In the end I ran an averae of 45 mph from Fallon.  There is about 80 miles missing there from Tahoe, but since I had the belt drive issue, I wasn't really running against anyone but myself, if you can understand.....

There has been some discussion about it, but the normal hardass time of 55 mph average is not impossible but due to the nature of this course, highly unattainable.  The 2 lane road thing, small towns, twisties, deer, constuction, etc. just kill you.  I got nearly 1400 the first 24 hours because the roads were generaally wide open and flat up until Kansas.  Past that the towns become more frequent and the road more winding.

Shit, I'm just happy I have the time and resources that I can do this shit.  Just getting out and running is all I care about, the other details are just unimportant footnotes overshadowed by the amazing event that is the stampede.